Bob started in sales, but was able to work upwards in the industry by focusing on three things, which he also suggested SBC members do, too.
- Commitment to learning and growing--be open-minded
- Have a strong work ethic
- Have the right attitude--control the "controllables"
Bob shared pointers as well about simple steps that can be taken to get in the position you want to be in.
- Companies are looking for someone who wants to be there and believes in his/her abilities
- There's a different path for every position in sports, with many ways to get in--there is no one direct path
- Understand what skills you need to develop to put yourself in the right position
- Do everything you can to gain an advantage over other possible candidates, whatever that may be
- Research positions beforehand
- Figure out what interests you
- Once you do those things, go all in!
A very special thanks to Bob for making the trip to Madison to speak with SBC!
Also, please feel free to fill out a free profile on his site: http://www.sportsbusiness.solutions/create-profile/